Group Sopex is a Family-owned commodity trading company with worldwide presence and with global headquarters in Antwerp, Belgium.
The Group trades in raw materials, more specifically coffee, cocoa and sugar. Sourcing happens from origins across the globe and sales are evenly spread globally. In order to support this, we have a presence in various European countries, Asia (Singapore, Vietnam, South-Korea) and we have local representatives in Africa and South-America.
To help strengthen the position of Sopex Group and to further expand the financial structure of this ambitious group, they are looking for an analytical and driven Financial Controller.
You will work together with a colleague on the financial controlling side of the finance department and will after an initial period become responsible for the month-end-closing of one of the Belgian entities of the Group. Initially your main focus will be on the Antwerp based Coffee and Cocoa businesses but interactions with the Sugar business in the UK will frequently occur. In your function you will be formally reporting directly to the group CFO.
Your main responsibilities:
Lead the Month end Process
- Control on all types of bank charges: interests, transactions and other bank fees.
- Monthly group result: inputting the month result of the several companies of the group, control and allocation of overheads to several departments of the group, update of budget.
- Monthly reconciliation of accounting and trading result
TAX Declarations & Authorities reporting
- VAT and intrastat.
- Transfer pricing: Local and Masterfile reporting.
- Emir and MIFID reporting.
Systems integration and reporting package setup
- Based on your previous experience screen for potential improvements in our current processes.
- Assist in the setup of various periodical Analytics reporting and dashboard for the coffee & Cocoa department.
Risk management and trade finance
- Reporting on customer positions against credit insurance.
- Master in Applied economics, with specialty in accounting, or equivalent via experience.
- Between 5-10 year experience in an accounting or financial control environment.
- Analytical: you will need to develop metrics and ratios that allow management to have a correct view on the important drivers of the P/L.
- Above all you are a team-player.
- Eager to learn, mostly on the job and by self-study, but where needed online or classroom training.
- You have a passion to improve and are able to challenge and come up with proposals to increase efficiency.
- No nonsense and flexible approach.
- Ready to adapt to frequently changing circumstances.
- Knowledge of company consolidations is a surplus.
- Systems/IT literate:
- Extensive and deep Excel knowledge is needed: knowing how to write Macro’s, creating Pivot Tables, and designing reports is a must. Power BI and/or Power Query knowledge is an asset.
- ERP Package Knowledge is needed: Microsoft Navision knowledge is a plus but not an absolute must.
- Excellent knowledge of Dutch and English. Knowledge of French is a plus.
- At Sopex we attach great importance to our corporate values, which allow the individual to develop in sync with the company and so ensures a healthy work environment, a good work live balance and a realization of the company goals. These values which are visible across the offices are: Curiosity, Respect, Integrity and Responsibility.
- An attractive salary package with fringe benefits (car, bonus, mobile phone, PC, hospitalisation and group insurance, meal vouchers, net expense allowance).